The Winston-Salem State University Foundation welcomed 100 golfers for the 17th Annual WSSU Golf Classic, raising $45,571 for student scholarships.
The 18-hole tournament, held at Winston Lake Golf Course on April 28, featured lunch, prizes and awards.
“We are overwhelmed by the tournament and sponsors, players and everyone who continues to make the WSSU Golf Classic a success,” said Regina Craven, interim director of the Annual Fund. “The proceeds will go directly to WSSU’s General Scholarship Fund, helping students who may be contending with unforeseen personal and financial circumstances that may hinder their ability to complete their education at WSSU.”
Students from the WSSU Renaissance Minority Male Mentoring Program (3MP) assisted golfers at the event.
Sponsoring partners included:
- Event sponsors: Bib’s Downtown and
- Lead sponsor: Pepsi Bottling Ventures
- Gold sponsors: Aramark; Cook Medical; FIS Group; Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton LLP; Reynolds American; and The Williams Capital Group, L.P.
- Silver sponsors: Johnson Controls Inc.; R.H. Barringer; Samet/SRS Inc., A Joint Venture;
Summit School; Winston-Salem Journal
- Flag sponsor: Salem Smiles Orthodontics
- Hole-in-One sponsor: Windsor Jewelers
Championship team: Reynolds American – 58
Second-place team: Windsor Jewelers Team 1 – 59
Third-place team: RH Barringer – 60
Championship team: Windsor Jewelers Team 2 – 72
Second-place team: All Women’s Team – 77
Winner of the BMW 5 Series for a week: Terry Griffin
The WSSU Golf Classic is one of Winston-Salem’s premier golf events, and is one of the WSSU Foundation’s largest fundraisers.